Spring cleaning of windows and furnishings is what most thoughts turn to at this time of year, but routine maintenance that addresses various home structures and systems is even more important. Help your customers take better care of their homes with the following spring home maintenance checklist.
- Inspect a shingle roof for any missing, cracked and curling shingles. Inspect metal roofing for deteriorated panel seams, flashings, and loose or missing panel fasteners.
- Inspect roof vents, eaves and soffits.
- Clean the screens on roof vents and louvers.
- Check flashings around chimneys, skylights, pipe boots and sidewalls.
- Check and clean the gutter system. Gutters clogged by winter debris can lead to interior and exterior water damage.
- Look for sagging or otherwise damaged gutter components. Repair if necessary.
- Suggest the installation of a gutter protection system for structures with significant gutter build-up.
Windows, Doors & Siding
- Inspect the trim around windows and doors. Fill cracks and caulk edges. Repaint if necessary.
- Check window and door screens for holes. Replace or repair as needed. Tighten frames and lubricate hinges.
- Check wood surfaces. Sand, prime and apply touch-up paint to areas that are peeling.
- Check foundation walls, floors, masonry and concrete for cracking, shifting and deterioration.
- Wood structures should be inspected near the ground for signs of termites and other wood-boring insects.
Get additional information on metal roofing, ventilation products and other building components by calling DOT Metals at (800) 331-9966 or contact your regional representative. DOT Metals has been providing the industry’s highest product quality and best customer service for more than 50 years.