The importance of a suitable roof ventilation system can’t be overemphasized. Every ventilation system functions by drawing fresh outside air through intake vents located on the lower roof and exhaling stale air through vents located on the upper roof. For this exchange of air to work well, there has to be a balance between the amount of air intake and exhaust – the amounts should be equal or the volume of air intake greater than the exhaust. The general rule of thumb is one square foot of attic ventilation for every 300 square feet of attic space.
When an Attic is Poorly Ventilated
Many homeowners are unfamiliar with the serious problems that occur when a roof does not have adequate ventilation. Educate them about the following ventilation-related problems.
- Damage to roof, shingles and paint. An underventilated attic that traps heat and moisture creates an “oven” that bakes the roof structure, shingles and paint on siding, causing them to deteriorate prematurely.
- High energy bills. When the attic area of a home is extremely hot, the heat will radiate to the lower living spaces and cause the air conditioning system to work harder, resulting in higher utility bills.
- Reduced insulation value. Excess humidity and condensation can be absorbed by attic insulation, decreasing its effectiveness.
- Mold. Damp attics provide the ideal conditions for mold to flourish.
- Ice damming. During the winter, warmer air trapped in the attic can cause ice dams than may lead to serious roof damage.
Ventilation Solutions from DOT Metals
The Universal Ridge Vent (RV 10) from DOT Metals installs across the ridge of the roof to allow for exhaust ventilation all along the roofline. The advanced aluminum design is available in a variety of colors. Our galvanized Off Ridge Vent provides effective natural air flow when used with gable and/or soffit vents. Gooseneck Vents provide one-way air venting for both shingle and tile roofing. For superior ventilation under soffits, the choice is Aluminum Soffit Strip vents.
In the south central United States, DOT Metals is the metal product supplier of choice for contractors. Our company has been in business for more than 50 years, which means we know how to deliver exceptional customer service. Call (800) 331-9966 today for more information about our products.